Pairing your new AfterShokz headphones is simple and straightforward, regardless of what device you have, iPhone or Android. You can easily pair your AfterShokz headphones to new devices or even to multiply devices so you switch between them. Here is a quick and easy guide for pairing so you can start listening with your open-ear bone conduction headphones.
Getting started with AfterShokz Pairing
The first thing is to check the compatibility with the device. AfterShokz headphones and headsets will pair to most Bluetooth devices that use BluetoothⓇ 3.1 or higher. This includes devices like phones, tablets, computers, watches and even Smart TVs using BT v3.1. Most new devices are compatible with the headphones, if you still are unsure about your device check the manual.
How to pair Bluetooth headphones
Paring the Bluetooth headphones is easy with three simple steps.
- Start with the headphones turned off. To enter the AfterShokz pairing mode, press and hold the volume+ button for 5–7 seconds. The headphones will power on, say “Welcome to AfterShokz.” and after a while say “Pairing.”. The LED will indicate pairing mode by the light flashing red and blue.
- Once you’re in pairing mode, access the Bluetooth settings on your device and select your headphones from the list of options. The headphones will say “Connected.” and the LED will flash blue once to indicate that the pairing is complete.
How to pair AfterShokz with iPhone
- Start with the headphones turned off. To enter pairing mode, press and hold the volume+ button for 5–7 seconds. The headphones will power on, say “Welcome to AfterShokz.” and after a while say “Pairing.”. The LED will indicate pairing mode by the light flashing red and blue.
- Open the Settings menu on the iPhone, head to Bluetooth Settings and select your headphones. The headphones will say “Connected.” indicating that your headphones now are connected to your iPhone
How to pair AfterShokz with Android
- Start with your headphones off. Enter pairing mode by pressing and holding volume+ for around 5-7 seconds until the headphones say “Pairing” and the LED indicator flashes red and blue.
- Open the settings menu on the mobile and navigate to the Bluetooth menu. From the list select your headphones.” The voice promoter will say “connected” and the LED indicator will flash blue one time.
How to pair AfterShokz OpenComm Headsets with NFC
AfterShokz OpenComm is currently the only model that’s equipped with the feature of pairing with NFC, Near Field Communication. NFC allows a mobile device to connect to a headset by being in close proximity to it. This process makes the pairing easier as it eliminates the need to manually sync both devices by navigating to the phone’s Bluetooth menu.
- To pair AfterShokz OpenComm headsets start with them turned off. Hold the Volume+ button for 5-7 seconds, until the headset flashes red and blue to indicate pairing mode. The headphones will also indicate paring with the voice “Pairing”.
- Take your mobile and position the NFC reader close to the NFC sign found on the left arm of the headset. A blue light will flash one time when your headset is paired successfully, and the headphones say “connected”.
- Some mobile devices might ask you to confirm the connection.
How do I pair AfterShokz to multiple devices?
AfterShokz headphones offer multipoint pairing, which allows users to connect to two devices at the same time. While you won’t receive audio from both devices at the same time, you will be able to easily transition between devices.
To pair multiple devices through multipoint pairing:
- Start with the headphones turned off.
- Enter pairing mode by pressing and holding the volume+ button for 5-7 seconds, until the LED light flashes red and blue.
- Press and hold the multifunction button and volume+ button for 2-3 seconds. The headphones say “Multipoint Enabled.”
- Pair first device. The headphones say “Connected.”
- Turn the headphones off.
- Re-enter pairing mode by pressing and holding the volume+ button for 5-7 seconds, until the LED light flashes red and blue.
- Pair the second device. The headphones say “Device Two Connected.”
- Turn the headphones off.
- Your headphones should now be paired to these devices.
As AfterShokz has been rebranded to Shokz, read the article here, all steps are the same for the headphones marked Shokz.
The OpenMove is my go-to headphones when riding my Onewheel. Here is a breakdown of the cheapest model from Shokz in my list of the best headphones for Onewheeling.
Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.