From the manual, it’s recommended to avoid streets and surfaces with water, sand, gravel, dirt, leaves, and other debris. The key is that any water damage is not covered under the warranty and will make you void it. This can be a bit contradictory when looking at the commercial movies from Future Motion showing the board riding on the beach or snow.
As a rider, it’s important to know that the board is not waterproof and you are risking breaking the board and need a costly repair if it becomes water damaged.
Another key thing when reading on the site is the statement regarding
Purchasing any PRODUCT from an unauthorized reseller, including any online purchase other than directly from the COMPANY, will void all product warranties to the extent permitted by law.Future Motion Inc.
COMPONENT WARRANTY DURATION NOTES: (For defects in materials and workmanship.)
|Onewheel||1 Year or total mileage|
|Footpad, Tire, Battery Pack||6 Months|
The Warranty from Future Motion Inc.
THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY
- Total mileage is over 2000km / 1243 miles.
- Damage has been caused by modification or use outside those specified in the user manual.
- The barcode or serial number of the product has been altered or removed.
- The warranty registration is inconsistent with the product itself.
- The product has been dismantled or repaired by an unauthorized third party.
- Water damage is not covered under warranty.
- Damage or fault has been caused by other issues (excluding product design, manufacture, quality, etc.)
- Natural wear and tear that does not affect product function (including scratches and wear and tear on frame rails, footpad, tires, etc.)
- Damage has been caused by accidents or human errors, such as breakage caused by rusting in a very wet environment.
- Damage has been caused by overloading the Onewheel+
- Damage has been caused by acts-of-god such as fire, flood, earthquake, freezing, etc.
- Products purchased from an unauthorized reseller, including any online purchase other than directly from Future Motion, Inc., to the extent permitted by law.
What modifications voids the warranty.
More or less any modification of the board voids the warranty like:
- Changing the grip tape
- Any internal or external modification of the battery
- Footpad replacement as long as it’s not a OEM pad from Future Motion Inc.
- Open battery or controller compartment.
How to repair a Onewheel out of warranty?
If your Onewheel is out of warranty either by time/mile or modification you have some options for repair:
- There is always the option to send it to Future Motion for diagnosis and repair. You will need to stand for the shipping costs both ways which will add up if you live far away. Riders have reported that repair costs can be high so this is not my prefered option.
- Check your home insurance if it takes damages of the board.
- Are you having any error codes? then the error code list will give you a clue.
- The right to repair is growing strong so you might find a local Onewheel repair shop. If you live in a bigger city this could be a great option. They can usually also help you with tire changes when this comes your way.
- There is always do it yourself (DIY). If you are handy and feel up to the task of taking apart, diagnosing, and repairing your broken Onewheel, this could be a fun project. YouTube is your friend. Good luck!
Future Motion Inc – Voiding A Warranty Claim Could Be Illegal (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act)
The void of your warranty claims from Future Motion is most likely illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. For them to refuse a warranty claim, they as Future Motion Inc, must show that the change you made caused a problem. A sticker or statement that modifications and/or third-party products will void your warranty will not hold in court.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) during the summer of 2022 announced proposed settlements over allegedly illegal warranty policies on a couple of big companies like Weber and Harley-Davidson [source]. If Future Motion Inc pursues this they might risk the same thing, It’s therefore important to be educated as a customer about the rights we have.
The Commission urges the public to submit complaints and provide other information to aid in greater enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and its implementing regulations.
The Federal Trade Commission today unanimously voted to ramp up law enforcement against repair restrictions that prevent small businesses, workers, consumers, and even government entities from fixing their own products. The policy statement adopted today is aimed at manufacturers’ practices that make it extremely difficult for purchasers to repair their products or shop around for other service providers to do it for them. By enforcing against restrictions that violate antitrust or consumer protection laws, the Commission is taking important steps to restore the right to repair.21 July, 2021 Matter Number P194400 Policy Statement of the Federal Trade Commission on Repair Restrictions Imposed by Manufacturers and Sellers
Frequently asked questions
How long is Onewheel warranty?
The warranty of the Onewheel from defects in materials and workmanship are either 2 months or 2000 KM (1243 miles), whichever comes first. The warranty for the footpad, tire and battery pack is 6 months / 1000 KM (622 miles).
Does changing tire on Onewheel void warranty?
Changing the tire one the Onewheel will void the warranty.
Does the Onewheel warranty transfer?
The warranty can be transferred if you buy a used Onewheels still under warranty. Make sure to get all the paperwork and receipt. If the last owner has done modifications to the board the warranty is most likely voided.
How do I send a Onewheel repair?
Always contact Future MOtion Inc. before sending in your board for diagnosis or repair. If your board is not still under warranty you probably will need to pay for the shipping costs.